When things don’t go your way – Try 4-4-8
You walk out of the house, trip over a bucket, ruin your new suit, and get peed on by the neighbor’s dog when he sees you lying on the ground trying to get back up.
Ever have a bad day?
It can seem like everything is going wrong and nothing can possibly go right.
And when you have a loved one struggling with substances in your life, days gone wrong can seem like a regular occurrence.
If this sounds like you, build an oasis of calm within yourself by making it a habit to breathe mindfully, even when things are going well.
This is an important habit to develop because being CALM is the foundation of your ability to Be A Loving Mirror (BALM®).
Here’s how you can bring calm into your life one moment at a time:
- Upon awakening, practice the breathing exercise known as 4-4-8 four times before getting out of bed or as you are beginning your day.
- breathe in slowly to the count of four
- hold it to the count of four
- breathe out to the count of eight.
- During the day, utilize this 4-4-8 intermittently, just because.
- Then, if you get a piece of stressful news or find things aren’t going your way, repeat 4-4-8 a few times to return your attention to serenity.
- Before you go to sleep, lie in bed and repeat 4-4-8 four times again as you are going to sleep.
Once you have done this a few days in a row, let me know how it helped you by sending me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be A Loving Mirror!
Beverly A. Buncher, MA, PCC, MRLC, CTPC
Family Recovery Coach/CEO
Family Recovery Resources, LLC
786 859 4050